Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli


Yesterday I introduced you to my new love. Gary. Would it creep you out if I told you he sleeps in my room? Oh, it would? That’s ok, he doesn’t really sleep in my room. His bed is on the kitchen counter next to Lish’s panini maker. I’m pretty sure he thinks she’s cuter then me. Whatever.

Now that I sound completely crazy, let me tell you about the mouthwatering butternut squash raviolis that I made with Gary’s help.

I want to warn you, I tried to make ravioli without the help of Gary or one of his relatives a couple times and it was tough. This is not a recipe for a week night. This is a special weekend event. It is time consuming even with a stand up mixer. But it is worth every bead of sweat and worked muscle.

However, if you are not as crazy I mean committed, as I am, you could buy a store bought dough, frozen wanton wrappers, or toss the filling with some pasta and it would be just as wonderful. The pasta is just a vessel for the amazingness that is the filling.

For the filling you will need…

1 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1 cup roasted butternut squash puree (You can buy this at the store, or roast a peeled and chopped small butternut squash in the oven. I cooked mine at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes and coated my squash with a little salt, pepper and olive oil.)



Salt
Freshly ground white pepper
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 2 ounces
Pinch nutmeg

In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots and saute for 1 minute.


Add the squash puree and cook until the mixture is slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes.


Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and nutmeg, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.


For the sauce if you are making ravioli…
1 stick of butter
12 fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
In a large saute pan, melt the stick of butter. Add the sage to the butter and continue to cook until the butter starts to brown. Remove from the heat.

Place some of the pasta in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the butter sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the 2 ounces of cheese over each plate and garnish with parsley.

How to make the raviolis…

Pasta Dough Recipe

Cut the pasta ribbons into 3-inch squares. Place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each pasta square.


Bring 1 corner of the square to the other, forming a triangle and seal the pasta completely. If you dip the tips of your fingers in water and then wet the top edge of the pasta the raviolis will hold tight.


I realize this is now how you are supposed to do it, but these were some early attempts.

Add the pasta to pot of boiling salted water. Cook until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes or until the pasta floats and is pale in color.

Remove the pasta from the water and drain well. Season the pasta with salt and pepper.

I completely realize this is a confusing process. It took me three tries to feel like I KIND OF knew what I was doing. If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at angela.samuels@gmail and I will be happy to talk you through it.

It will taste amazing and you will feel like a million bucks for tackling it. I must warn you though, I might invite myself to dinner. Sorry.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. I would really like to show you a picture of how it looked done, but I was a couple sheets to the wind and didn't get a picutre. Maybe next time.

1 comment: