Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Pico de Gallo


Literally translated to “rooster’s beak,” pico de gallo is a salsa commonly comprised of tomatoes and onions. I like it because it is not spicy at all. Man I’m wimpy. You can of course make it spicy with serranos or jalapenos but if you are serving it to me, don’t you dare.

You can also throw in some lime, cilantro or garlic to pump up the flavor. Or, if you are like me, you can include all of the above.


Why am I rambling on about rooster’s beak? Well because tonight is chicken burrito night and what is better than some fresh salsa with your fresh burrito? Maybe a million dollars would be good with a chicken burrito, but I have to be reasonable.

Eric and I have a big couple of days a head of us starting with our seven hour drive up to Sonoma tonight to be with my family for turkey day. In order for us to get on the road before one in the morning and still have New Food Tuesday, I had to pick a road friendly menu. So for dinner we are having chicken burritos, pico de galloand guacamole from taco night. Road food people.

I actually googled “road trip recipes” and I came to the conclusion that I like Eric’s and my arteries way to much to clog them with that much bad stuff. Yet for some reason I think fried chicken is totally heart healthy.


Sometimes I blur the line of what should go in my body and what shouldn’t. All in the name of flavor my friends.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

Ingredients (Serves 4)
6 diced medium tomatoes
1 diced medium white onion (I realize I used a red onion in the picture but I was out of white)
3 garlic cloves minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper
(hot peppers optional)

Directions
Chop all the ingredients and throw them together in a bowl (or in my case a pan). Mix well and squeeze the lime over the entire mixture and mix again. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment