Monday, November 1, 2010

Marinara Monday and Me


Sometimes I wonder if this whole cooking thing is just a phase. But, after tonight I know there is NO way this is a phase. This is love.

Tonight, for the first time since New Food Tuesdayz began, I got to cook by myself. Just my pots and pans, my ingredients, some great tunes and little old me. Cooking away. It was amazing.

I decided to do some prep work for tomorrow’s dinner by making the marinara sauce and roasting the butternut squash. And I had a ball playing with my food.


Walk the plank!




You should too.

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

Marinara Sauce
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat the oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste. (The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)

No comments:

Post a Comment