Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Green Beans Almondine


Happy 100th Post Readers!!!

I try not to read too many other food blogs. There are many reasons for my tendency to avoid them and most them highlight how flawed I really am. As I’ve mentioned before, I am hyper competitive. Looking at more successful blogs makes me crazy that I am not better than them. I HAVE to be the best. Yes, I realize that a blog is somewhat subjective, but in my mind, they are better and so they must SUFFER!

My other most substantial flaw is the second reason I try not to read other blogs. Jealousy. I have a tendency to be jealous. I try not to show it, but if I think someone is better than me or someone has something I want I die a little in side. It takes everything in me not to lunge at them and snatch what I want from them. I am great at resisting the urge. Except for that one time. Just kidding. Kinda.

But, in my quest for the perfect green Thanksgiving side dish I have found myself reading other food blogs I admire to find something. I checked out Baked Bree recently, and after I stopped squeezing my stress ball over how beautiful her pictures are, I found this really great recipe for green bean almondine. She has been doing an entire series on everything Thanksgiving related and even that is making me jealous. Jealous that I don’t get to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner! Curses.

**This picture is for Blake. Just a little bacon for you.

Regardless of my competitivness and serious jealousy issues, this recipe was delicious and is a strong contender for next weeks holiday festivities.



And it’s pretty. Ooo…. Aahhhhhh….


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

P.S. Eric tried to get some payback from our “incident” by pelting me with green beans. Funny Eric. Really funny.


Ingredients
1 pound green beans, trimmed
4 slices bacon
2 cloves minced garlic
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano

Directions
In a large saute pan, cover the green beans with water. Boil for 5 or so minutes. You still want them to have a little crunch. Drain and set aside. In the same pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain most of the fat and add the onions and mushroom. Cook the onions and mushrooms until soft. Add the almonds, salt. pepper, and oregano. Toss in the green beans and cook until heated through. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment