Wednesday, July 7, 2010

P90X


Yes, you read the title correctly. I did it, I'll admit it. And guess what... it kicked my ass. If you don't know what P90X is, it is a super intense, at home work out system. The guy who narrates the videos is absolutely rediculous and had me and Eric doing kick boxing, jump shops and "superman bananas" (google it) all over my tiny living room.

From the age of seven until I graduated college I swam competitively. Swimming. Year round. For 15 years. Even since I graduated I have maintained a certain level of fitness. I'm into yoga and spinning, I'm on a softball team and I still try and swim once a week. But, since I have become obsessed with food and cooking, I have let myself go a bit. I'm not saying I'm fat, or that I need to lose a bunch of weight, but for me, I am out of shape. And P90X was a great reminder of this sad fact.

So, not only am I trying to get in my workout at home before dinner time, but I'm trying to eat a little bit healthier. Sometimes. Like maybe twice a week. This leads me to new food tuesdayz this week. Last night on the menu...

Sea bass cooked with lemon and herbs


Summer squash and tomatoes


And...

Homemade PESTO!!! Which I have been dying to do!


The pesto was amazing and totally made the meal. I highly recommend making your own. Pesto is great on fish, chicken, on a sandwich or with pasta!


There are a ton of recipes, but I really like this one. Try it and let me know what you think!

Love and Beer Floats
Angela

Basil and Tarragon Pesto

1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup basil, 20 leaves
1/2 cup tarragon leaves from 10 to 12 stems
Handful flat-leaf parsley
1 lemon, zested
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more to pass at table
Coarsely ground black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it

Toast the pine nuts in a saute pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil until golden brown. About 2 minutes. Add pine nuts and the rest of the ingredients other than the olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend and add olive oil little by little until the pesto is like a thick sauce. Add to dish and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment