Tuesday, June 8, 2010

..."we need to have a talk"

I have the greatest parents. We are talking... top notch here people. They have been such amazing examples to my brothers and I and I could have never asked for more.


But, just as anyone else... they have flaws. For instance, my dad is incapable of cooking anything unless it involves a barbeque. He made rice for my brothers and I once when my mom was out of town and it was so sticky we deemed it to be the primary weapon in the great food fight of 1994. He also has this remarkable ability to immediately start dozing the second he lays down on the couch. Then there is my mom. My mother is literally incapable of telling a lie. She never, EVER lies. Now, normally this is an amazing trait. But sometimes a little white lie might be nice... come on.... just once?! And my personal least favorite... my mom's ability to absolute terrify me with her vagueness. "We (her and my dad) need to talk to you. Just you. One on One." I haven't lived in my parents house for 6 years, but something about her lack of detail and overly calm voice always sends me into a panic. It's always nothing, yet I can't help myself from going back through the past days, weeks, months racking my brain for what I could have possibly done wrong??? Did I forget to put the house key under the frog? Did I leave my late night drunk snack somewhere and now it's rotting and stinking up the room??? Did I forget to make my bed??? Well... I had no idea what on earth I could have done this time, but I decided the best way to go find out would be to soften the blow with a new food tuesday meal.

So... I headed to my parents tonight fully armed with distractions and blow softeners. Food.


Like... potato and carrot pancakes



and salmon with a red wine reduction over a water crest puree... which by the way i have yet to be able to pull off a "reduction."
So far I have made hot red wine with herbs and stuff and herbs and stuff that really taste like red wine. Maybe the 3rd attempt will be a success.


And an asparagus salad.


As usual, the new food and the unknown made me nervous and a little scared, but everything ended up being great.


The food was delicious (I highly recommend the pancakes... so does Dad) and my parents and I had a great talk about goals and our barbeque for my dad's birthday.

And Lily was super stoked because... like a true wannabe foodie, I dropped one of the pieces of salmon on the floor on the way to the plate and she got to eat it.


Love and Beer Floats
Angela

Potato and Carrot Pancakes
3/4 pound (about 3 medium sizes) white potatoes, peeled
3 medium carrots, peeled
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 to 3/4's cup matzo meal or seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
coarse salt
1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil for frying (I like peanut, I think it has better flavor)

Grate the carrots and potatoes into a large bowl. Add in sliced green onions and mix the veggies together with your hands. Season with about 2 teaspoons salt. Add in bread crumbs/matzo meal and the egg and mix until it will hold together. Use all of the mix to make about 8 pancakes about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancakes a couple at a time. Do not crowed the pan. Cook until golden brown about 2-4 minutes a side.
Remove from pan and place on paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
Sour Cream and Caper dipping sauce (brace yourself because I made this one up)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon capers
5 basil leaves
1 garlic clove
salt and peper
Mix ingredients together in food processor, blend and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Nice meal ... great way to pave the way to the family discussion .... but you left us hanging ... what did they want to talk about?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Ang... is it a cliff hanger I have too wait for the next installment to read about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... they just wanted to talk about my finances. No big deal.

    ReplyDelete